Saturday, September 28, 2013

SCARS WITH PURPOSE


SCARS WITH PURPOSE


"Never be ashamed of the scars that life has left you with.  A scar means the hurt is over, the wound is closed, you endured the pain, and God has healed you."  (unknown).
"Mirror, mirror on the wall, erase my scars, erase them all." When I look into the mirror I have to admit I am not really happy about all the scars I have. I had to have two mastectomies, 35 rounds of radiation, and 4 reconstructive surgeries to eradicate the aggressive breast cancer that had invaded my body without warning or permission. And those life-saving remedies have left me looking like I ran naked into a barbed wire fence (felt like it for a while, too).  Please don't get me wrong, I am so thankful to be alive, and so thankful to Dr. Runnels for the amazing reconstruction he did. But even with the best surgeon's work, scars remain and there are times when the woman in me gets her feelings hurt. 
"SCARS ARE STORIES - HISTORY WRITTEN ON THE BODY." (Kathryn Harrison) 

And then there are the emotional scars that are hidden from the mirror's reflection, and that you cannot see if you look at me.  I have them hidden way down in my heart.  But sometimes, my mind will rub over them.  And though the wounds have healed, the scar is still there to remind me of something someone said that hurt me, or something I did that disappointed God or my family.  Or maybe there is a small scar from an incident that happened totally out of my control.  And there is no Mederma or Bioderm to fade those scars!

It is true that time heals all wounds - emotionally and physically - and with passing time, it gets easier to look in the mirror, or visit those places deep in my heart, but there is always a scar that remains from each wound.
"From every wound there is a scar, and every scar tells a story.  A story that says, 'I survived'."  (Craig Scott)

One thing that has changed my perspective on scars is Mandisa’s powerful new song, "Scars.”  My goodness, I think she wrote it just for me!  She sings about how our scars remind us of God's power that helped us overcome and how our brokenness can be used for His purpose.

"…I see it on the cross, The nails You took for me; Scars can change the world, Scars can set me free..."

These few lines bring Jesus Christ right into the mental picture!  HIS scars are the ones that set me free.  HIS scars are the reason I am healed of cancer and am alive!!  His sacrifice on the cross even healed my emotional wounds!  How can I ever fret over my own scars when I think of His? Nails driven into His hands and feet, a spear pierced into His side, and scars from being whipped to the point of death. 

Not that I could ever put myself on the same level with Jesus, but I feel closer to Him in a totally different way - like "fellow sufferers."  Yes, His scars have healed me, and yes, my scars are a reminder of his healing.  But more than anything, my scars serve as a reminder of His faithfulness! His great faithfulness and new mercies every morning! Even all the scars of the heart - of past failures and hurt - fade away when seen in the light of His love.  He put His scars to work for me.  Now it is my desire to put my scars to work for Him! 

Romans 8:15-17 (The Message) "This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It’s adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike “What’s next, Papa?” God’s Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what’s coming to us—an unbelievable inheritance! We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with him, then we’re certainly going to go through the good times with him!"
SCARS (Mandisa)  (C) 2013 Sparrow Records
These scars aren’t pretty
But they’re a part of me
And will not ever fade away

These marks tell a story
Of me down in the valley
And how You reached in with Your grace
And healed me

They remind me of Your faithfulness
And all You brought me through
They teach me that my brokenness
Is something You can use
They show me where I’ve been and
That I’m not there any more
That’s what scars, that’s what scars are for
what scars are for

Erase, rewind
Wish I could every time
The hurt, the pain cuts so deep
But when I’m weak You’re strong
And in Your power I can carry on
And my scars say that You won’t ever leave

They remind me of Your faithfulness
And all You brought me through
They teach me that my brokenness
Is something You can use
They show me where I’ve been and
That I’m not there any more
That’s what scars, that’s what scars are for


I see it on the cross
The nails You took for me
Scars can change the world
Scars can set me free


They remind me of Your faithfulness
And all You brought me through
They teach me that my brokenness
Is something You can use
They show me where I’ve been and
That I’m not there any more
That’s what scars, that’s what scars are for
They show me that’s what scars are for
What scars are for.


2 comments: