Tuesday, December 31, 2013

An Uncluttered In-Box for the New Year


As I sit here on the eve of the New Year watching a bowl game with my husband, I am cleaning out the messages in my e-mail IN-BOX – I have 2,531 messages!  It has obviously been a long while since I cleaned them out.  So here I am deleting and deleting so I can start with a clean box for the New Year.  As I go down the row, I have to stop and open some of them and read them one more time - it’s like revisiting an old friend, or reliving a memory of an event that was fun.  Several of the messages are from friends who have passed away and that strikes a sad chord in my heart.  But, oh the exuberance of getting all those messages cleaned out once and for all! 

Here's hoping I can do the same with my mind.  It seems I have about the same number (2,531) thoughts and ideas that need to go – I need to delete them, send them to the recycle bin - and not go back and retrieve them!  Give myself a “clean slate” for the New Year!

Those e-mail messages did not all appear in one day- it is an accumulation over time.  I let a few stack up and then some more came in, and then some more, and before I realized it, I had 1,000’s.  I could ignore them for months, but then my computer slowed down or I got overwhelmed when I tried to find an important message that I needed in a hurry.  And I always hope I don’t get a message that contains a virus! 

The beginning of the New Year is a great time to mentally toss out bad memories, negative thoughts, and anything that “exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.” (I Corinthians 10:5).  I want to get rid of all those before they crowd out the positive thoughts and the Word of God that guides my mind to righteousness and peace.  I know the feeling of being overwhelmed with negative thoughts and foolish ideas, and I know the peace that comes when I saturate my mind with positive thoughts and God’s peaceful words. 

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.”  Philippians 4:6-8
Isn’t it refreshing when the calendar flips over to a whole new year?  365 blank blocks to fill in.  More birthdays to celebrate, more babies to be born, more adventures to be experienced.  I am going to make an effort this year to keep my messages deleted periodically, and also to keep my mind uncluttered as well.  Happy 2014 – a year of blessings and triumphs for us all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment