Sunday, March 14, 2021

MY TEN-YEAR CANCERVERSARY! LET'S CLOSE THIS CHAPTER!

 A DECADE OF VALLEYS AND VICTORIES 2011-2021

Before I close this chapter of my life that has covered an entire decade, I want to blog a few words of encouragement and hopefully be a voice of reason to help others, especially women who may face breast cancer. Today, March 14, is my Cancerversary, which marks the day of my confirmed diagnosis, the day I received that phone call that changed my plans and my life. This year on this date I mark a major milestone of 10 years as survivor. I have undergone all treatments and surgeries to the satisfaction of my Oncologist to be released from annual checkups because “we can be relatively sure that you are cured from the disease.”

Mentally closing this chapter is so important. I will no longer entertain the threat of a return of this disease and therefore not be apprehensive about every ache and pain and spot that appears on my body. I haven’t been tormented by worry or fretted about an occurrence of cancer, but there is a certain flash of wonder once you have heard the statement, “you have cancer.” That word lurks in the corners of your mind and pops up even before you can form your own thoughts. Many times I have “taken thoughts captive,” and reminded myself that I AM HEALED. 

EARLY DETECTION IS SO VITAL.

On December 14, 2009, I received a letter form River Region’s Women’s Diagnostic Imaging Center informing me that my mammogram screening was normal. Fast forward to December 2010. With the hustle and bustle of Christmas, helping move my elderly mother in with my brother, and packing for a 3-month trip to Albuquerque, New Mexico, I decided to delay my annual mammo until I returned in the Spring. Here’s where “early detection” warning comes in. I could possibly have had less chemotherapy treatments (I had 8 strong ones) if the cancer cells had been detected in the fall of 2020. The cancer was aggressive (Triple Negative) and so by March it was golf-ball size and had spread to the lymph nodes. Quite possibly I could have avoided the 35 radiation treatments and maybe a small section of tissue could have been removed from my breast rather than radical bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction which involved 7 surgeries in 2 years. I truly believe a few months made a difference in my treatment plan in my case. (NOTE: do not neglect your annual checkups and mammograms! It does matter!)

REACHING OUT TO OTHERS

Going through cancer and recovery has taught me so much in empathy for other cancer patients (or anyone going through a debilitating disease) that I didn’t have before. In these 10 years, I have been offered many opportunities to speak to groups or write articles about my healing and recovery, and express to them how they too can survive with grace. Always, always, the honor goes to my Jesus, my ultimate Healer who was with me in every treatment, surgery, and panic moment. I have gained a trust in Him that no matter what comes my way, He will never leave me or forsake me. I started blogging and was able to get a book published, Seasons for a Reason, to give testimony of God’s goodness and grace. Copies have gone to Canada, the Philippines, Japan and all across America.

ANSWERING THE WHYS

Although I may never understand why I had to endure this cancer journey, I will now close the chapter and embrace the next chapter of my life. A friend once told me, “I will not live one day longer than God intends me to, so I will not fear (the return of cancer).” That gives me peace to know that my life is in His hands and will end according to His will. If He has allowed me to remain here, God has something for me to do to help further His Kingdom, and I must make every day count! (“Teach me to number my days.”) Oh, what a glorious thought -He needs me!

SO MUCH GRATITUDE

Many, many people to thank, but at the beginning of this journey, God led us to Dr. Sylvia Ramos in Albuquerque, who immediately got me the most excellent medical care and tests. She told Michael when they were out in the hall, “Whatever you do, don’t drop your insurance.” That was his sign that it wasn’t “looking good.” After a week of mammograms, ultrasounds, and biopsy, the doctor called me on March 14, 2011, and gave me the report which would start the journey to recovery. We returned to Mississippi where we were then led to the most caring and knowledgeable doctors in our area – Dr. Phillip Ley, Dr. Tammy Young, Dr. Zachow, and Dr. Runnels, who guided me through 2 years of treatments and surgeries. I cannot even put into adequate words the love that my husband has shown me throughout my journey. To rub my bald head and look into my weary face drained from the effects of chemotherapy, and say, “my pretty girl,” epitomizes the caring love he had for me. Besides the fact that he cancelled all work assignments for a year to be home with me throughout my treatments and surgeries.  For months and years, he has been by my side. Many thanks go to my family and friends who supported me with books, flowers, cards, Scripture encouragement, and most importantly prayers. You never know the value of prayers and support until you go through something like this. To have a loving Father God to be with me cannot be described either. All glory and honor belong to HIM!

IPsalm 34:3-8, “Oh, magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt His name together. I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. … This poor man cried out, and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles. … Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him.”

Books can be ordered at rebeccalogue.com


No comments:

Post a Comment